The Environmental Protection and Energy Utilization Directorate is accountable to the manufacturing implementation capacity building sector d/director general having the following powers and duties:
1. Shall assess the duties of the directorate against the sectors strategic plan and adopt annual plan, monitor the performance, organize, lead, coordinate and supervise the activities of the directorate.
2. Shall implement the various policies and strategies of the government as well create policy and strategy for the sectors.
3. Shall examine, recommend on improvement , ensures the Environmental impact assessment proposals and reports on industries in coordination with other entities and implement up on approval.
4. Enforce standards adopted by the environmental protection authority are observed by the industries in the sector in addition to monitoring and supervising the same.
5. Shall monitor and supervise whether small and medium manufacturing industries operates consistent with local laws, environmental protection that the country endorsed and other protocols.
6. Shall deliver consultancy service related with environmental protection issues.
7. Shall work in coordination with governmental and nongovernmental organizations working in the area of environmental protection in addition to that monitor the implantation as well.
8. Shall monitor and supervise the assessment of environmental impact around small and medium manufacturing industries based on laboratory results.
9. Ensures industries use environmental impact measuring tools to measure environmental assessment.
10. Follow up any environmental impact assessments are managed and administered by the institution.
11. Shall design promote and implement the usage of pollution free operation procedures.
12. Shall monitor the usage of energy from byproducts of industrial products and other sources.
13. Shall coordinate work teams; provides support to team leaders, undertake empowering activities, follow up performance of teams, evaluate, recommend improvement ideas; shall follow of the results of the departments as well as take the necessary corrective measures.
14. Shall ensure the duties and responsibilities of the directorate are carried out up to the required quality and swiftness.
15. Shall monitor the daily tasks of professionals under his/her supervisions, provide support, and provides the updated report of the performance of the department.