Incubation centers development and technology research directorate is accountable to manufacturing implementation capacity building sector D/Director general having the following powers and duties:
1. Shall assess the duties of the directorate against the sectors strategic plan and adopt annual plan, monitor the performance, organize, lead, coordinate and supervise the activities of the directorate.
2. Shall design policies, strategies, plans, programs and projects that help to facilitate the development of small and medium manufacturing industry and implement upon approval.
3. Shall design supportive frameworks and implement upon approval in order to assist the development of small and medium manufacturing industry.
4. Shall create suitable situation to assist small and medium manufacturing industry development by delivery of training.
5. Shall identify and formulate local and international best practices that would assist the facilitation of development of small and medium manufacturing industries to be competent, participate in local and international programs of experience sharing as well organize experience sharing forums and distribute to users.
6. Shall conduct feasibility study and as well as project profiles the benefits small and medium manufacturing industry development collect, analyze and organize as well as distribute information to users.
7. Shall establish model incubation centers as well as support the establishment of such model centers in regional universities, technique and vocational education and training facilities.
8. Shall ensure small and medium manufacturing industry are interface with each other and with heavy industries in order to create technology integration.
9. Shall coordinate with universities, research institutions, development institutions, technical and vocational education and training institutions, capital equipment lessons, and other stakeholders in area of human resource development, research and study, technology transfer and infrastructure development in order to make small and medium manufacturing industries development competitive, efficient to improve productivity and to produce quality product.
10 . Shall coordinate with higher institutions, local and international governmental and nongovernmental institutions with similar objectives in order to make the products of small and medium manufacturing industries are up to the standard.
11. Shall collect international and local information concerning the sector and upload current information in to website shall ensure the distribution of such information to users.
12. Shall prepare instructions and manuals in order to small and medium manufacturing industries development is consistent with the current reality of the country as well as based on the positive experiences of other countries and shall recommend the same to for a decision.
13. Shall ensure the preparation of incubation center enhancement manual, propose such manual for approval and based on the demand of the market shall ensure the inclusion of other new sectors.
14. Shall coordinate regions in the recruitment of citizens that will be attending incubation enhancement cents and shall ensure the task is implemented based on the operation manual.
15. Shall empower citizens intending to engage in the manufacturing sector (newly graduates from universities and TVET institutions) and the centers in order for them to admit citizens and reinforce themselves; shall closely follow up and monitor the process.
16. Shall facilitate in coordination with the concerned entities the support of technology and other assistance that would assist entrepreneurs that graduated from incubation center enhancement and monitors whether citizens are employed.
17. Shall provide technical support for small and medium manufacturing industries concerning competitiveness in order to fill up the gap in this respect.
18. Shall ensure the standardization of products manufactured in incubation centers and for the graduates of the centers it shall provide support and follow up in order for them to produce products based on the standard adopted.
19. Shall identify entrepreneurs with interest to began working and shall participate in preparation of specification in addition to delivery of consultancy service.
20. Shall lead and administer departments under its supervision.
21. Shall prepare incubation center enhancement plan; follow up the performance and present report.